Blocking is the means by which administrators prevents a user account or IPs address/range from editing GROUCHES Wiki. Blocks are preventive rather than punitive measures used to prevent damage by dealing with vandalism & enforcing all policies of the GROUCHES Wiki. Block duration may vary, depending on the severity & longevity of vandalism, but in most instances a block can be lifted if the editor agrees to stop the damaging behavior.
Because of the dynamic nature of IPs, & the related risk of collateral damage, most blocks should be in the range of 1 day to 1 month, with exceptions noted below. Only in very rare cases should non-proxy IPs be blocked for more than 3 months.
When considering blocking, it is important to remember the axiom "Never attribute to malice what can be attributed to stupidity"; article blanking or addition of fanon may be just a well-meant attempt to remove inaccurate information or expand the encyclopedia. Always assume good faith, but remember that the rules apply to everyone equally.
Grounds for blockingEdit
1. Vandalism: Vandalism is defined as any bad-faith edit made with the intent to lower the quality of the wiki or disrupt the functioning of the community. In most cases, users should be warned prior to blocking, though final discretion is left to the administrators.
2. Spam: Posting irrelevant spam links in articles, or creating articles which are entirely spam is grounds for an infinite block (for registered users) or a shorter-term IP block.
3. Move vandalism: Page move vandalism (moving an article to a nonsensical or inappropriate title) is grounds for immediate indefinite bans.
5. Disruption: Users who disrupt the wiki (be it via changing other people's comments, making misleading edits, or harassing other users) may also be blocked.
6. Copyright violations: Users who continually post copyrighted material despite being warned should be blocked so as to prevent further violations.
7. Blanking pages: Users should typically be warned prior to being blocked for page blanking, except in extreme cases where the blanking is obviously being done with malicious intent - i.e. 4 articles blanked in 1 minute.
8. Personal attacks: Users attacking other editors personally (in regards to anything) should be given 1 warning prior to a cool-off ban. The length of the ban is dependent on the severity of personal attacks.
9. Posting personal information: The posting of personal information regarding other people (i.e. their home address, phone number, etc.) is unacceptable, & will be enforced with blocks. Users doing so should be warned, & blocked if they continue.
10. Editing only user pages & not articles: Users that consistently edit & add to their user pages & subpages without contribution to the main article namespace will be warned & then blocked. As this is a sensitive issue, good judgment should be made pertaining to the user in question & whether or not it is likely that they will actually contribute to the main article space after a warning & a block.
Block length guidelinesEdit
With the exceptions noted above, blocks should usually progress according to the following table. Final discretion is left to the blocking administrator on a case-by-case basis.
|Regarding vandalism:||1st instance||2nd instance||3rd instance||Repeated|
|Registered users||Warning||1 week||2 months||Infinite|
|IP addresses||Warning||1 day||2 weeks||3 months|
When blocking a user or IP for anything less than infinite, should be substituted on talk pages with the appropriate length. should be left on userpages only following an indefinite block.
AOL uses a shared IP system (meaning they give out the same IP addresses to several people), so if you use AOL & are blocked for vandalism you didn't commit, contact an admin for assistance. Due to the fact that many of the acts of vandalism to this wiki come from AOL IPs, we block each AOL IP that made the offense. The only way not to get blocked due to the actions of others is to switch Internet Service Providers (ISPs). If this is not an option, then just refresh your page until the block message goes away & do any major edits offline.