Polly Smith has worked for the JIM HENSON Company. since she was brought on board to create costumes for The Muppet Show in 1978 & continues to design for SESAME STREET. In the years in between, she has designed costumes for many of the Muppet film & TV projects produced by the JIM HENSON Company as well as the costumes for several other children’s TV programs.
Smith received Emmy nominations for her designs for The JIM HENSON Hour (1988) & Muppets Tonight (1996) & has received 3 Emmy Awards for her designs on SESAME STREET. Smith also co-designed costumes for the TV series The StoryTeller (1986-88) which won a BAFTA award for Best Costumes in 1989, & The StoryTeller: Greek Myths (1989) which received a BAFTA nomination for Best Costumes in 1991.
Smith’s film credits include Muppets from Space, The Adventures of Elmo in GROUCHland, Muppet Treasure Island & The Muppet Christmas Carol. Smith was also part of the design teams for the films The Dark Crystal, The Muppets Take Manhattan & Labyrinth.
Additionally, in 1977, while designing costumes for the Champlain Shakespeare Festival at the University of Vermont, Smith collaborated with 2 friends to create the 1st women’s sporting bra called “Jogbra”. This achievement has been recognized with a bronzed Jogbra on the wall at the University of Vermont & by inclusion in the costume collections of the Smithsonian Institution & the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Smith’s 2 partners went on to create the company which produced & marketed the bra while Smith chose instead to go off & create undergarments for puppets & animals.
- John Denver & the Muppets: A Christmas Together - Nativity Muppets, costumes
- The Muppet Show - Muppet Costume Designer fifth season
- The Dark Crystal - Associate Costume Designer: Gelflings (Jen & Kira) & Podlings
- I Love Liberty - Miss Piggy’s costumes, others
- Fraggle Rock - Muppet builder
- The Muppets Take Manhattan - Costume Designer (with Karen Roston & Calista Hendrickson)
- The Muppet Show: On Tour! - Additional costume design
- Muppet Babies Live! - Additional costume design
- Labyrinth - Creature costume design; Creature Workshop team: Hoggle, Sir Didymus, Alph & Ralph, Goblins & Riding Goblins
- The StoryTeller - Costume designer (with Ann Hollowood)
- The Tale of the Bunny Picnic - Puppet design
- Inner Tube - Costumes
- The JIM HENSON Hour - Costume Designer
- The Muppets at Walt Disney World - Costume Design
- Dinosaurs - Costume design (UNcredited)
- The StoryTeller: Greek Myths - Co-Costume Designer
- The Muppet Christmas Carol - Costume Designer
- Muppet Classic Theater - Costumes
- Muppet Treasure Island - Costume Designer
- Muppets Tonight - Costume Designer
- The Adventures of Elmo in GROUCHland - Costume Designer
- Muppets from Space - Costume Designer
- It’s a VERY Merry Muppet Christmas Movie - Costume Designer
- The Muppets' Wizard of Oz - Costume Designer
- SESAME STREET - Costume Designer (2003 - present)
- Jack’s Big Music Show - Costume Designer
- Bunnytown - Costume Designer
- Blue’s Room - Costume Designer
|Previous page:||Next page:|